Re: Fresson Conjecture & Testing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Fri, 04 Jul 1997 02:09:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Dennis Klinker wrote:

> Hi Art I can only agree with you,original Fresson prints have a great
> beauty and i can understand why they are still popular today,and as you
> mention it is a valid area for experimentation.I have recently seen some
> great prints by John Grocott who is using a direct pigment process and

I've seen two of his prints, very nice but not close to Fresson. They
look like they are screened versus continuous tone.

> have seen a lovely nude study by Dr Dunstan Perera with sumptuous blacks
> that look like they will soil the hands if touched.A booklet that i
> obtained recently obtained called the Fresson Process by Tom
> Champion from the History of Photography Monograph series published by
> the Arizona State University. It is good for history but less helpfull
> if one is expecting blueprints and a working procedure of the magic
> coating machine. Yours Dennis

Magic may exist but not when it comes to machines . . . Peter Fredrick has
my vote on it being a spin coater. I do have some scans of some real
Fresson paper that I believe support his conjecture. I'll forward them
if you want to take a look for yourself.

Now as to magic . . . I'm gnawing at the bit waiting on the analytical
analysis of a sample of Fresson paper.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA