Echague and Carbondir

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sat, 05 Jul 1997 19:00:56 -0600

<x-rich>>Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 17:34:16 -0400

>From: hubcap.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (Sandy King)

>Subject: Echague and Carbondir

>To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca

>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

Sandy King says:

>A short list of others would include names such as Artigue, Auto-Pastel,

>Deux-Epées, Farinaud, Leto, Paper Gomme-Noire, Höcheimer, etc. They were

>all proprietary systems and the exact coating system is unknown. In fact,

>the colloid used in manufacturing these papers is also uncertain. Research

>indicates that some used gum arabic, others fish glue, others gelatin, and

>combinations thereof.

I would be curious, Sandy, whether you think that there was one or more general principles involved in these processes. Are they similar enough in appearance? Was the quality similar or are they quite varied? If they were varied was it due to the process or just poorly executed of pooor quality control?

1) If there was a single principle involved, it may have been implemented in slightly different ways, and if this many people stumbled on it, it can't be too obscure and we have a good chance as well.

2.) If different principles were involved, then, we may be able to discover one of those or a completely different one.

The fact that you named all of these others indicates that with modern technologies, it might not be too dificult to develop our own.

Do you have any ideas of the principle or principles involved.

The one that first comes to mind is some sort of partial reticulation, sort of like a series of tunnels down into the pigment where development could take place at the bottom layer, allowing pigment and and colloid to escape, and letting the roof collapse but not breaking off and flaking.

Full reitculation would be like a bundle of sticks looked at on end. Development could occur at the bottom level but it would break the sticks off at the base causing flaking.

How about a very fine laser perforation system? Maybe that's what the Fresson folks did? (Naw, just kidding!)

The problem here is that tunner idea seems not to be conducive to sawdust development.

Just my thoughts and questions

Dick Sullivan

<center>

Bostick & Sullivan