Other Direct Carbon processes

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 06 Jul 1997 16:07:03 -0300

At 1:23 PM -0400 97/07/06, Sandy King wrote:
>Richard Sullivan writes:
>>
>>I would be curious, Sandy, whether you think that there was one or more
>>general principles involved in these processes. Are they similar enough in
>>appearance? Was the quality similar or are they quite varied? If they were
>>varied was it due to the process or just poorly executed of pooor quality
>>control?

Speaking from my experience here:

All those processes look different. And any single process is capable of a
wide variety of effects. My book _Gum Dichromate and Other Direct Carbon
Processes from Artigue to Zimmerman_ (still in print for $19.95) has
complete formulas for most of the following:

1-Albumen-Gum Dichromate Process
2-Arbuthnot's Direct Carbon Process
3-Artigue's Charbon-Velour
4-Blair's Methods
5-Buhler's Patent or the Casein Process
6-Duchochois' Charbon-Velour
7-Kendall's "Fresson"
8-Lumiere's Patent
9-Mallman's Method
10-Mortensen's Pigment Process
11-Poitevin's Direct Positive Process
12-Starnes' Patent
13-Strasser's Method
14-Testud de Beauregard's Patent
15-Zimmerman's Method

There are also details on

Burchardt's "Bichromated Size Process"
Autotype's Auto-Pastel
Farinaud (pre-sensitized gum)

and several more, including gum printing, tricolor gum, etc., to keep you
busy in the lab and out of trouble for the next 20 years...

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada