Re: POP/Albumen Papers

FB (100263.262@compuserve.com)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:02:12 -0400

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 Wayde Allen <allen@boulder.nist.gov> wrote:

> Could you explain a bit more about the "wet mounting" procedure? Was the
> paper coated with albumen, dried, sensitized, dried, exposed, fixed,
> washed, and then mounted before it dried again?

Yes. Rewetting the albumen can cause reticulation on the surface..

> Was the Glazing done after the paper was mounted and had dried?

Before drying as I know (the heated press helped to dry also).

> Could you also expand on the "sizing/covering" methods you spoke of?

Hmmm. Difficult. Need some more research. As I know the paper of
the home made POP-s was sized usually. Several types of starch and
perhaps colloids (ie. glue, gelatine) and so on was used. Ie. the
starch is smoothing the paper surface (and modify the color of it).
Sometimes the surface of albumen is lacquered. But there are a
lot of receipt from this age for lacquers...

Balint

- Balint Flesch - Archaist/conservation photographer. - Budapest/Hungary. -