Re: infrared development

Philippe Monnoyer (Philippe.Monnoyer@fundp.ac.be)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 01:37:23 +0200

At 22:12 25/07/97 -0700, you wrote:
>How absolutely necessary is it to develop infrared films in other tanks
>than the common "plastic" ones? Some literature also states that even
>the light in your darkroom, even after you switched off may fog your
>film?

Alex Nanson already gave the answer.

I just wanted to emphasize on the spectral sensitivity.
The Infrared films are films that have been more sensitized in the red
region and in the near infrared (around 800 nanometers).
Hot bodies are emitting infrared, but this is longer wavelenght infrared.
People are very often mistaken about that.

As far as I remember, a body should be very hot to emit near infrared, like
the sun for example, which is probably the infrared source of the majority
of IR-photographers.

Philippe Monnoyer