Re: KOdak Tri-X processing

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 00:01:42 -0400

Philippe Monnoyer wrote:

> Well, because I cannot afford a large format camera yet. ... But I plan to use 35mm tri-X shots for
> alt
> processes. What is seducing in tri-X of course is its tonal range, and
> wondered if it would better suit to platinotypy, just for that reason.
..

Philippe,

I have had excellent success with Tri-X and HC-110.

Invest in some Kodak # 4127 (Commercial) and 2556 (Kodalith) film for
building larger negatives. These are both available in 4x5 and 8x10.
Develop in HC-110.

I have built enlarged negatives with these films and achieved better
results than a larger format film would have yielded. Using Tri-X and
HC-110 for the original, one should be able to build an excellent 8x10
negative from a 35mm original (with the proper training). With good
control over masking technique it is incredible how much sharpness can
be obtained.

But, why not make 35mm pt/pd prints. With an intimate subject this size
can be quite provocative.

Jeffrey D. Mathias