Mail failure

Adminstrator (POSTMASTER@vvdailypress.com)
Sat, 02 Aug 1997 22:28:00 -0700

FROM: Adminstrator
TO: alt-photo-process list DATE: 08/02/97
TIME: 21:29
SUBJECT: Mail failure

User mail received addressed to the following unknown addresses:
DAILYPRESS/DAILYPO/TMP

Eric J. Neilsen wrote:

> Is it not true that longer exposure normally gives contrast to the
> print??

> Longevity may be more an issue of how one using and or adbuses their
> ferric, getting to warm, exposure to UV light, etc. Perhaps this is
> another issue of use such as buying precoated paper?

Eric,

I have definitely found that a shorter exposure will produce a higher
contrast. I suspect that this may be due to the printing-out
characteristic of pt/pd. Sometimes I'll purposely move the printing
frame further from the light to increase exposure time and decrease
contrast.

This also becomes a problem for negatives of too low a contrast. The
contrast agent usually lengthens exposure time. The result is a fight
between a drive (by the printer) for higher contrast and a desire (by
the materials) for a lower contrast.

Other factors affecting precoated paper are humidity and time. I have
found that a precoated paper kept dry, cool, and dark will not produce
good results the next day. I even notice some degrading over half a
day. Coat only the paper that can be exposed in three to four hours.
Or better, coat each sheet only as needed.

Thanks for the info. on F.O.

Jeffrey D. Mathias