Re: Ferric Oxalate

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Sun, 03 Aug 1997 17:30:09 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Terry King wrote:

> Message text written by "Eric J. Neilsen" (THIS IS FROM JEFFREY's Post)

> >I can accept Brian's reason (or lack thereof), except that I do not
> > believe that there is any ferrous in Brian's F.O., but rather some other
> > material which reacts with Potassium Ferricyanide. It would be a good
> > research effort form someone to analyze the contents of the F.O. I do
> > not have the time nor equipment.
> > <
>
> I use the peroxide method to make my FO. The end test is to add Peroxide
> until the FO stops testing blue, in other words until the ferrrous has been
> converted to ferric. Is there any reason why adding a few drops of
> peroxide (28%) to FO made using other methods should not have the same
> effect of converting the remaining ferrous to ferric and thus getting rid
> of the blue when the ferricyanide test is made ?

Yes that is what I believe Terry, the H2O2 will use up the excess oxalic
acid as well, at least that is what the text suggest. A short discussion
with Brian about his proceedure would clear up the other chems that may be
giving the blue positive test. But Dick seems to be saying that the Pot
Fero test may give lots of false positives. I would think that He would
be able to tell us why, Dick?

EJ Neilsen
ejnasn@laplaza.org