Re: digital negs

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:36:10 -0400

At 09:03 PM 1997/08/12 -0400, Karen Molloy wrote:

>Yes, you can, but the quality of the output depends in part on the printer.
>For example, I can't get a dense black with my aging inkjet. Kodak makes
>transparency sheets esp. for inkjet printers -- the sheet has a slightly
>rough surface to hold the ink better. (Although I get thin negatives with
>my printer, I've discovered it's fun to work into them with ink and make
>something different from the original intention.)

The "secret" is to make the neg CMYK black with all color layers. Dye-sub
and Micro-Dry printers actually layer the pigment and provide total
coverage (I get clear to opaque black on a Kodak gray scale this way). At
the recent APIS, I showed some Ziatypes made by Dick Sullivan from one of
my negs, and the rendition was beautiful, looked as though made from
chemically-produced neg.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net