re:re:darkroom design

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:32:09 -0700

>dkern@juno.com wrote:
>>
>.... Any special considerations for an alt
>> darkroom?
>
>David,
>
>You may wish to design your processing area to avoid cross contamination
>of alt-process chemicals with negative chemicals. This is especially
>important for pt/pd processing. Use separate trays and a large sink.
>wash the sink after each type of processing. Or if you have the room,
>use two sinks.

I know this claim of separate trays for silver and pt/pd (a kosher
darkroom?) comes from some biblical source, but I'm here to be the heretic.
I have printed pt/pd in the same plastic trays as silver for over 10 years
without a problem. The trays don't see any color chemistry or any strong
bleaches, just standard silver stuff (develop, stop, fix, hypo clear,
etc.). Now, I must add that I am VERY fastidious when it comes to cleaning
trays and tongs and one needs to be, but the problems people discuss
re:cross processing contamination are far more theoretical than practical
if one is very orderly and cleans well. I don't know if the comments above
suggest separate sinks because of contamination or conveneience: for the
former, its unnecessary, for the latter it would be nice.

WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

Offering Platinum/Palladium printing services and workshops and tutorials
in Pt/Pd printing and other areas of photography (Zone System, etc.)

1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
wmlaven@platinotype.com
www.platinotype.com