Oil Problems too

Robert Newcomb (rnewcomb@athensnet.com)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:32:19 -0400

>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:44:01 +0200
>From: Mel Proudfoot <mel.proudfoot@ping.be>
>Subject: Oil Problems
>To: Alt-Photo-Process-L List <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
>
>Dear All,
>
>Can anybody give me some advice on how exposed oil prints should look -
>should you be able to see detail in all areas?
>
>My experiments so far are not too successful.
>
>I coated some Arches textured paper with a 7% gelatin solution, several
>coats. Then sensitised with 3% Pot. Dichromate.
>
>After about 5mins exposure in my printing frame, not in direct sun - I
>do live in Belgium - I can see some shadow detail, but nothing in the
>highlights.
>
>So, the question is should I be able to see highlight detail in a
>exposed oil print?
>Did I underexpose the print?
>
>After washing and drying I soaked for 5mins at 20c, blotted off the
>surface water and inked with Lithographic Black 1796 (Graphical Chemical
>& Ink Co).
>Is this SOFT ink or HARD ink or what? If its soft them maybe the soft
>ink method would work?
>
>The ink took in the shadows but could get nothing in the highlights, and
>found it difficult to build up the image - as I suspect that I had
>nothing to build-up.
>
>Any ideas welcome.
>
>brgds
>
>Mel
><HTML>
>Dear All,
>
><P>Can anybody give me some advice on how exposed oil prints should look
>- should you be able to see detail in all areas?
>
><P>My experiments so far are not too successful.
>
><P>I coated some Arches textured paper with a 7% gelatin solution, several
>coats. Then sensitised with 3% Pot. Dichromate.
>
><P>After about 5mins exposure in my printing frame, not in direct sun -
>I do live in Belgium - I can see some shadow detail, but nothing in the
>highlights.
>
><P><B>So, the question is should I be able to see highlight detail in a
>exposed oil print?</B>
><BR><B>Did I underexpose the print?</B><B></B>
>
><P>After washing and drying I soaked for 5mins at 20c, blotted off the
>surface water and inked with Lithographic Black 1796 (Graphical Chemical
>&amp; Ink Co).
><BR><B>Is this SOFT ink or HARD ink or what?</B> If its soft them maybe
>the soft ink method would work?
>
><P>The ink took in the shadows but could get nothing in the highlights,
>and found it difficult to build up the image - as I suspect that I had
>nothing to build-up.
>
><P>Any ideas welcome.
>
><P>brgds
>
><P>Mel</HTML>
I asked this question of Terry King some time back, it's a good question.
It's difficult to know if it's a problem with ones inking method, the ink or
the soak or the exposure. I don't have the answer as Terry didn't ever get
back to me on this one.
I'd like some help in this area as well.
Robert Newcomb
Watkinsville, GA.