Re: Collotype

Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 23:46:59 -0400 (EDT)

John,

I have not yet tried making a Collotype, but it is high on my list, and I
now own everything I need to make them. I would highly recommend Kent B.
Kirby's book STUDIO COLLOTYPE; CONTINUOUS TONE PRINTING FOR THE ARTIST,
PRINTMAKER, & PHOTOGRAPHER (ISBN: 0-9620699-1-4). The book is published
by Heliochrome Press which is affiliated with Studley Press (same
address). Kirby's book can be purchased directly from the publisher:
Heliochrome Press, 151 East Housatonic Street, Dalton, Massachusetts
01226, U.S.A.. I do not recall the exact price offhand, but I think it is
somewhere in the $65 (U.S.) range. You might also try to track down a
copy of Thomas Wilson's THE PRACTICE OF COLLOTYPE published in 1935 by
American Photographic Publishing in Boston, though I suspect that you will
find much of the information the same as in KEEPERS OF THE LIGHT as I
suspect that most of the information in the latter came from Wilson's
book.

-greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>

"The satisfaction is in making your own living, as opposed to making
money and buying your living...."

-Donna Cook as quoted by John McPhee
in his book COMING INTO THE COUNTRY

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, John Barnier wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Are there members of the list with experience making collotypes? Do any
> of you know written procedures other than those in Keepers of Light?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> John
>
> John Barnier
> 12560 Morris Trail North
> Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota 55047
> 612-433-4420
> jb@dgi.net
>

>===for PGP Key finger Greg Schmitz <gws1@cunix.cc.columbia.edu>===
:: ::
Key fingerprint = 73 D3 91 15 96 69 74 E5 14 51 71 44 C8 ED 01 11
Key ID: A7026B1D Key Size: 1024 bits Created: 1994/11/10