Re: pinhole diameter (was Re: Pinhole 9x12cm quest)

Wayde Allen (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:59:39 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Larry Bullis wrote:

> > I also did a test with a resolution chart and pinholes of various
> > sizes, and I could see the resolution get worse as the pinhole
> > went below the optimum size.
>

> I think we were having this conversation before and were going to
> experiment but somehow didn't get around to it.
>
> This is not at all what my observations have shown me. But then, I'm not
> a scientist and I wasn't using a resolution chart. And resolution by
> itself is not something I find that interesting, but what appeals to my
> eye, I do. I am not at all clear whether we are talking about the same
> thing.

I think it is very likely that the fuzziness due to the diffusion effect
would "look" different than the loss of resolution from having a large
pinhole. Are we talking about pinhole "bokeh" here? The shape of the
hole, the resolution limit, etc. all affect the image quality. It seems
entirely possible that less resolution at the expense of more diffusion
may be aesthetically pleasing.

- Wayde
(wallen@boulder.nist.gov)