Re: Is IR Alt?

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:14:12 -0400

Elton N. Kaufmann wrote:

> Beside chairing the gallery, I do some personal shooting, but use
> straightforward silver gelatin materials in the darkroom. I've recently
> started using IR sensitive film, however (so far Kodak and Konica, no
> Ilford yet),

Ilford does not market an infrared film. They do sell an extended-red film, which is
not the same.

and wonder if the list includes discussions of shooting and
> processing that. If not, does anyone know of a list or chat group that
> would emphasize IR. Any information on others' experience with effective
> EI under different lighting and filtration conditions would help me reduce
> the amount of bracketing that seems necessary to capture the best IR effects.
> Thanks, Elton

My personal opinion is that infrared film, which can be purchased through many camera
stores and nearly every mail order house, is not an alternative process. Their is a
wide amount of information that can be found on the Web. Of course, I would point
you first to my own page <g>, as infrared is one of my specialties.

There is a better forum for infrared, which would be the Infrared Mailing List. To
subcribe send: SUBSCRIBE INFRARED to MAJORDOMO@A1.NL.

Good luck!

george

--