Re: Albumen toning

David Aguilar (daguilar@bhnet.com.br)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:57:27 -0200

Mike, you wrote:

>David,

>Modern selenium toners do not work well on albumen. The image will begin
>to tone, then very quickly begin to stain and spot the print. The final
>colour is a dull greenish grey, Not very appealing.

>Traditionally, gold toning was done before fixing, If you want to try
>selenium, I'd suggest you tone after fixing. In this case you need to
>substantially over-print the image as untoned albumen will be bleached
>during fixation much more than gold-toned albumen.

When toning in selenium a FB paper, we have to be careful with acidity left
in the paper by the fixer, because it causes stains in the paper. Maybe a
bath in an alkaline solution before toning can avoid the stains also in
albumen paper (if they are caused by acidity).then, it would be possible to
do the toning before fixing to avoid the bleaching.
What do you think?

David Aguilar
daguilar@bhnet.com.br