Re: Glyoxal

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 08:47:22 -0700

At 05:43 AM 11/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Message text written by Richard Sullivan
>>Glyoxal is not foolproof and it does have a slight odor, but it is a far
>cry from formaldehyde!
>
><
>
>I have been making gum prints for twenty- five years and have never found
>the need for either glyoxal or formldehyde.
>
>Terry King

I suspect that one does not need it to harden size or gum but if you make
up gum from powder, it will likely sour in a month or two so it needs a
preservative. From my experience it is the dirt in the gum that is the
culprit. Industrial bottled gum has been filtered pretty thoroughly,
possibly in some cases through a charcoal filter which I would suspect is
the case in any "white" gum. These are probably immune to fermentation or
have some other preservative in them. I used to make ammonium citrate
developer in liquid form from technical grade chemicals and it would grow
mold if I didn't filter it through a charcoal filter.

I've also had good luck preserving things with swimming pool algaecides.
Presumably reasonable safe since one is expected to put it in the pool and
then swim in it.

Thanks for the tip
Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe