RE: Fresson prints

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 09:15:50 -0400

At 11:14 PM 97/11/05, Sandy King wrote:
>Art,
>
>It is questionable that Fresson either copied or improved Artigue's direct
>carbon paper. My research suggests that the manufacturing process for the
>two papers was very different. Artigue papers appear to have been
>manufactured by a powdering on process which left the pigment on top of the
>gelatin, whereas Fresson papers have the pigment incorporated into the
>coating.

Artigue was very different from Fresson. Artigue, over the years, made use
of two very different types of formulas, one of which was rich in albumen.

The Artigue paper was inconsistent and unreliable. It was also available in
very few colors. For these reasons Fresson worked 7 years developing his
process and came out with a winner that put Artigue out of business.

Luis Nadeau
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada