Re: UV (BB / Bilirubin) Tubes?

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:18:55 -0700

Dave,

Sounds like a bloody mess! Either that or some one is pulling your leg. I
got this from the Medical College of Georgia. Maybe it has something to do
with that depression folks get in the winter when they don't get enough
sunlight and these lights produce bilirubin to make you happy again.

Here is bilirubin:

>http://www.mcg.edu/PedsOnL/ForHealthProf/Neonatology/Bilirubin.html

Bilirubin is a by-product of the breakdown of hemoglobin, specifically, the
heme part of hemoglobin. The more red blood cell hemolysis in an infant,
the more heme destruction and, consequently, the more bilirubin production.
Teleologically, one wonders why humans make bilirubin at all, especially
since it is so toxic under certain conditions? Many alternate pathways of
heme breakdown can be proposed with paper and pencil; why did this
particular one survive evolutionary pressures? The answer is startling;
bilirubin is probably the most powerful endogenous anti-oxidant produced in
the body, comparable to such exogenous antioxidants as Vitamins E and C!
Bilirubin is needed to protect humans against oxidative damage, it's just
that an excess is not needed...and it doesn't need to be precipitating in
the brain cells of neonates!
<<<<

At 06:42 PM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know what Bilirubin tubes are for? I am looking at a used
>exposure unit that has 2 F20T12/BB tubes in it. My catalog says BB stands for
>Bilirubin, but I don't know anything about it. Can they be used to expose
>dichromate sensitized material?
>
>I suppose I can always replace the tubes if they are not usable in my
>application, but if they are ok, I can save a little too. :)
>
>Thanks in advance for any information!
>

>Dave

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe