Re: Platine -- Bad batches (

John Barnier (john_barnier@bullseye.target.dhc.com)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 08:37:02 -0500

11/07/97 8:37 AM

David,

Why glycerine? And why after Tween, not before?

John

--------------------------------------
Date: 11/07/97 8:25 AM
To: John Barnier
From: Beakman
> I ran some tests both with and without Tween 20 after talking with
> Martin Axon about the problem and this is what I found.
>
> Firstly, let me say that 90% of my prints are made on Platine with a
> 50-50 mix of Pt-Pd. The other 10% is on Cranes Platinotype with a 25-75
> mix Pt-Pd. I've had great success using Tween 20 with the Cranes, but
> have never had one successful print using it with Platine. Consequently
> I never use it with Platine.
>
> Martin tells me he's noticed that this batch is difficult to clear and
> has a mottling that disappears when dry.
>
> The tests WITHOUT Tween 20 coated smoothly and without problems, in fact
> the results are no different from any of the prints that I've made in
> the past on supposedly "good" batches.
>
> The ones WITH Tween 20 just sank right in before I had time to spread
> the sensitiser, as I've always found to be the case. They weren't
> difficult to clear but did show mottling, but I think that this is a
> problem with the Tween/Platine combination rather than this particular
> batch.

There may be a problem in the way that you use Tween with Platine, but I
use it in every one of my prints and it works great. And if there was a
problem I would certainly know because most of my images have large
expanses of smooth skies, water and tonal gradients which are the toughest
test of all.

I double-coat my Platine. In the first coat I use Tween. In the second
coat I substitute glycerine for the Tween. Works like a champ.

David Fokos