Re: Engineering / Arts

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 14:05:28 -0700

At 11:39 AM 11/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't think it's the practice of a particular discipline that makes
>you an artist, it's how you practice that discipline. Anyone can paint,
>photograph, even do simple engineering tasks but only the artist creates
>art. Additionally, mastering technical competence in a given area does
>not automatically qualify one as an artist.
>
>Peter

Peter,

I fear we are treading in the snotty swamp of the question of what is art.
When calls one self and artist and automatically that produces art is
inviting a tautology. Art is what an artist does and artist is one who does
art.

Is it not possible that an engineer does art. Roebling and the Brooklyn
Bridge? Eiffle? Ok these are architects a branch of engineering. The space
shuttle. Farnsworth and television. The Wright Brothers, like, man that
thing was beautiful! I truely doubt that every strut was placed there
purely for functional reasons. Engineers do art, but maybe under the
restraints of functionality, something that other types of artists don't
have to deal with. I would say that you have to be a good artist to produce
good art and you have to be a good engineer to produce good art.

Your comments are challenging.

Dick Sullivan
Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe