Re: Enlarged negatives from transpareny

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:33:58 -0800

At 06:41 AM 11/12/97 -0800, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>>Message text written by Tom Ferguson
>>>
>>Some might be tempted (as I was) to try the Agfa B&W positive film
>>(Scalia??). This material is even more high contrast with worse toe and
>>shoulder problems than typical E-6 color transparency film.
>><
>
>Terry King wrote:
>>Scala has a reasonable contrast range if yoyu pull it by four or five
>>stops.
>
>Unfortunately this seems to be a USA / Europe problem. Neither the Scala
>lab in California or New York will do more than a 1 stop pull :-( For
>that pull (which doesn't reduce contrast enough to help me) they charge
>double!
>
>tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)

A thread on Scala came up a while back on the rec.photo.darkroom group
which caused me to do some investigating. It would seem that Scala is a
"conventional" reversal emulsion and responds well to a B&W reversal kit
made by Tetenal. It probably would work with the T-Max reversal kit or
with the formulas published by Kodak for processing reversal motion picture
film. AGFA confimed via e-mail that the image is silver, not dye, so its
not chromogenic or anything exotic.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.