Hydrofluoric acid

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:54:27 -0700

At 10:41 AM 11/13/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 08:42 AM 11/13/97 -0700, Dick Sullivan wrote:
>>I did some experiments years ago, maybe a decade or more. The best clearing
>---stuff snipped---
>>Another powerful clearing agent is Eagle Mag Wheel cleaner from Pep Boys.
>>It appears, believe this!, to be dilute hydrofluoric acid,
>
>---rest snipped----
>
>If it really is hydrofluoric acid then stay away from it. This is ugly
>nasty stuff. The following is from the 5th Edition of Dangerous Properties
>of Industrial Materials. Some material is skipped and some abbreviations
>expanded. .

It is probably under the OSHA exemption for a dilution of less than .1%.

>From 29 CFR 1918.90
> (1) The chemical and common name(s) of all ingredients which have
> been determined to be health hazards, and which comprise 1% or
> greater of the composition, except that chemicals identified as
> carcinogens under paragraph (d) of this section shall be listed if
> the concentrations are 0.1% or greater; and,
> (2) The chemical and common name(s) of all ingredients which have
> been determined to be health hazards, and which comprise less than
> 1% (0.1% for carcinogens) of the mixture, if there is evidence that
> the ingredient(s) could be released from the mixture in
> concentrations which would exceed an established OSHA permissible
> exposure limit or ACGIH Threshold Limit Value, or could present a
> health risk to employees; and.........

Me and the UPS people go around and around sometimes. Talk about weird
things. Federal regs call for Roman Numerals to have no bars top and bottom
and that's the way it's shown in the DOT Regs. UPS wants bars top and
bottom. The Federal regs say no one can alter them. In my discussions with
the UPS auditor, he said that "UPS has stricter standards than the Feds."

Whooooeeee!

Dick Sullivan

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe