Re: (Fwd) Re: Clearing of Iron Salts in Pt/Pd paper

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:03:45 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Steve Harrison asks:
> <snip>
> > (3) What about combining different agents such as a combined 50/50
> > bath of phosphoric acid (3%) and Kodak hypo clear .
>
> Mixing phosphoric acid and hypo clear (specifically the sodium
> sulfite in it) will produce sulphurous acid which will cause you to
> leave your darkroom in a hurry.

I have been telling my students for several years to always wash your
prints of acid bath, be that HCL, Citric, Phosphorous, to avoid that
unpleasant odor. Ilfords Wash Aid, that Carlos recommended several months
back, also contains Sodium Sulfite and EDTA, as does HCA. Be careful.

> So, Steve, I think this is not a good idea.
>
> All the best,
> Keith

EJ Neilsen
ejnasn@laplaza.org