Re: Bleaching palladium Process Photographers

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:27:29 -0700

It's a good warning. However since one is only using only a small amount
of the acid, perhaps only 1/2 a milliter, and a small amount of Clorox, the
amount of chlorine given off should be minimal. Of course one should be
careful of mixing the bleach and acid together. All in all, I think for the
skill level represented by this list on the whole, a reasonably safe
procedure.

Thanks for the tip.

Dick Sullivan

At 12:20 PM 11/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Chlorine bleach combined with a strong acid will result in the production of
>chlorine gas.
>
>When my father was the Senior Research Geologist for Gulf Oil, he had
>several co-workers who had permanantly lost their sense of smell and chunks
>of their lungs due to trying to work safely with this combination, in a lab,
>with vent hoods.
>
>I would recommend against this process.
>
>Best for continued light,
>
>Gordon Cooper