Re: lights for alt processes

Michael Silver (MikeSilver@mindless.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:29:35 -0500

TERRY KING wrote:

> Message text written by Joseph Portale
> >
> I'm new to alternative processes and have a light source question. I'm
> planning on building a light box to expose platinum and/or argytypes. What
> florecent tubes are recommended? Thanks for the help
> <
>
> Joseph
>
> Nearly everybody else on this list uses black light tubes or similar
> tubes. You will often find that professionals use HPR Mercury Vapour bulbs
> which are designed to produce light ( radiation ) at the right wavelengths.
>
> Terry King

I've be using a metal halide lite which I recommend very highly. It is the
Olite 15 by the Olec Corp. It is used by sceen printers and is available
through printing suppy houses for about $1,500. It is virtually a point light
source so little light scatter through the negative and it is very sharp. Uses
about 1500 watts AC and hangs suspended above a 40" by 34" vacuum frame. I
raise and lower the light to adjust for print size up. Exposures range from
15 seconds to 2 minutes for a 40"x 32"print. I also like to do photograms and
multiple printings and the distance (20" from print) as well as the directional
quaility of the light allows me great range of options.They also make them in
up to 10,000 watts if you're interested in making 15 foot prints or want speeds
in milliseconds. I find it to be the most valuable piece of equipment I ever
bought.
Mike Silver