Re: bellows -Reply

Wayde Allen (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:25:04 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Bob MAXIE wrote:

> Bellows Materials Info Help:
>
> 1) I am building several 5 X 7 View cameras
> for Stereo Photography. If interested, I will
> pass on what I discover.
>
> 2) A friend who wholesales fabrics tells me
> that there are over 10,000 different materials
> commonly used in clothing, manufacturing,
> etc. She is going to shorten the list for me,
> based upon materials suitable for the
> requirements of a Bellows maker. I will report
> what I learned.

I'm certainly interested. Please let me know what you find out.

> 3) I found (and lost) the URL of a site that
> offers a complete tutorial on Bellows Making. I
> saw it a while ago and it looked easy. I will find
> and post the URL if it might be of interest.

The only one I'm aware of is Doug Bardell's site:

http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/bellows.html

If you have a different one please let me know. Doug and I have talked
quite a bit about this, and are still bantering back and forth about
things we each have tried.

> 4) I found a brief blurb that mentioned
> Chamois Leather bonded to a black silk layer
> and then somehow treated works. I will post
> this if of interest.

This should work, but the chamois that I've found is fairly thick. It
also is rather absorbant, so keeping it clean could be a problem. I do
think it could be dyed, and I suppose treated to make it fairly water
resistant.

- Wayde
(wallen@boulder.nist.gov)