Re: Uranium Prints and hazards

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:25:53 -0700

I purchase and ship uranyl nitrate. We have to package separately in the
same type of package that silver nitrate come in. It does require that the
bottle be in a small can but other than that DOT regs allow UPS to ship
just as any other hazardous material. The stuff is ever so slightly
radiactive, down in the micro-millicurie range and I'd venture to say being
at 7000 foot altitude here in Santa Fe exposes my tired old bod to more
radiation in a day that this stuff would in a year. I've checked DOT regs
and OSHA regs which I have here in my computer and I can't find any
reference to the "tons of licenses and other clearances." Can you
elaborate further and cite what "clearances" and "licenses" are required?
Or are you guessing?

I don't mean to sound snippy about this, it's just that there so much
chemical hysteria out there that we don't need any more. It is just as bad
if people become fearful of everything as if they were totally cavalier
about the hazards of chemicals. There's a kind of "what the hell" attitude
that develops when people think everything is dangerous.

Uranyl nitrate should be handled cautiously, as it does has a small
residual of radiactivity and is somewhat poisonous, but as one might
suspect, all the "good" stuff (u235) has been removed before it gets to us.

Cheers

Dick Sullivan

At 04:16 PM 11/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
> do not wish to sound like I am putting down
>anyone efforts with this process, but be aware
>that if it becomes a commercial process for
>some of you, there can be a big issue with
>using radioactive compounds for a
>commercial process.
>
>This requires a ton of licences and other
>clearances. Just a thought
>
>RM

Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe