uranotype permanence Was: Re: uranium

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:44:17 -0400

At 11:35 AM -0500 97/11/21, Nze christian wrote:
>Bob Schramm,
>i've allready try the formula you give and don't have enough contrast with
>the first one(pure uranium)
>here are all the formula i have :
>
>first one reddish one
>water 100ml
>urane nitrate 7.2gr
>copper nitrate 2 gr
>a little pinch of sodium carbonate
>devellop with a 8% potassium ferricyanide solution
>
>second sepia print
>water 100ml

Not that I want to rain on anyone's parade, but I recently managed to see
an early manual, ca. 1890 of reproduction processes for maps, plans, etc.
and there were several specimens of processes tipped in that were very
interesting to examine.

The blueprints were in pristine shape as with the carbon and ink pictures.
Print # 9, identified as "Uranium Print, developed with Nitrate of Silver"
was badly faded, like a pale albumen print. Print #10, "Uranium Print,
Developed with Red Prussiate of Potash." was in a somewhat better shape.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/