Re: Test -- posting from unsubscribed address

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:42:12 -0400

At 9:18 AM -0700 97/12/12, dmilton@csus.edu wrote:
>The subscribe portion of the sign-up is designed to create a list of
>addresses to send the postings _to_, and was not intended to keep people
>out. This is why address harvesters such as Floodgate are so effective.
>Some lists do keep unsubcribed people out, however, a hacker with a second
>grade education can simply enter the list through the backdoor (server
>drive, ftp, etc.) If a spammer wants your address, he/she will get it one
>way or another. Don't worry about spamming, just concentrate on creating
>great works of art.
>
>FYI- at least one spammer already has the addresses from this list; I've
>received one spam that can only be traced back to this list.

Or its Archive?

If you post on this list, your address appears in the Archive and this is
readily accessible. Also, for a long time, the list adresses were freely
available.

About 99% of the spamming I get is from the US. Many countries are willing
to take action about their own spammers, just like they did in the 80s when
fax machines were inundated by junk faxes. These countries, including
Canada, are now waiting for the US to take appropriate action. The US
Congress is currently dealing with some 160 Internet related bills but
hopefully within a year or two most spamming will be eliminated.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/