Re: Sheila Metzner's "Color"

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 01:51:42 -0400

At 5:00 PM -0400 97/12/19, someone wrote:
>I am currently looking at Metzner's "Color" which I have borrowed through
>interlibrary loan. The images look very nice except that there is no size
>information. I think any photo book should include sizes of the original,
>otherwise you are looking at screened repros with sizes, tones and possibly
>colors altered, so you can't tell anything basically. :(

I'll have more on this in a separate message.

>Some of the prints look very very grainy, for example: "Jossie, Body Parts,
>1991," "Stella, Moulle Shape 1986." Some look very very smooth though,
>e.g.:"Grey Modern Vase, Magritte Rock 1977," "The White Place, 1988." Most of
>the images are somewhere in between.
>
>I am wondering what caused the grain. Is it just the degree of enlargement?
>Before, I thought it was the sawdust that introduced the grain, but from Luis'
>previous explanation it sounded like it was actually just the magnification.

With the money you saved not buying Metzner's book, you might be able to
spring $20 for my Gum Dichromate book and find the answers to the above
question;-)

>Also, the color images look like they were separated w/o color correction
>masks. I am wondering why the Fresson family decided not to do color
>correction masks because color correction masks are not that complicated
>especially after one has set it up and tested it properly for once.
>Considering the other manual steps, the silver masking should be relatively
>easy.

After color masking they would also gain in using a dimensionally stable
support that would simplify registration, like Resin Coated paper...

Since the longest scale is always achieved on a glossy surface, the paper
should be glossy...

Then you wouldn't be able to tell Fressons from Kodak "C" Prints;-)

>I would appreciate it if Luis could comment on my questions if they are not
>touching the "secret" parts of the process.

My carpal tunnels are currently on a work-to-rule campaign and refuse to
retype what's readily available in my books;-)

>Actually I have questions about what is or are the secret parts of the
>process. When we say something like "ancient Chinese receipe," that is because
>at one point they truly kept it as a secret and don't want to talk anything
>about it, but Luis doesn't seem to be that secretive. He doesn't mind saying
>that it is a gum bichromate process with sawdust development. So is the

ugh? I never said that.

>"secret" the coating process and/or the actual working procedure?

both, as mentioned in several of my books, all available through
inter-library loans.

>I am not asking about how it is actually done. I am just asking in a general
>sense what are the things that are considered secret in this process as I am
>interested in the process in the historical/technical aspects. I am not trying
>to duplicate the process though .... I hope I won't create any
>misunderstanding.

No need to apologize. It's a free world. You can ask anything and try anything.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/