Re: Sheila Metzner's "Color"

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:56:06 -0400

At 6:49 PM -0500 97/12/20, FotoDave wrote:
>In a message dated 97-12-20 01:56:31 EST, nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca writes:
>
><< Then you wouldn't be able to tell Fressons from Kodak "C" Prints;-)
> >>

>So it is by choice then. Somehow they have decided that that is the Fresson
>look.

Not really. They designed their process to be as practical and economical
as possible. Masking would have made their process a lot more expensive
because of enlarged separations through a carbon arc enlarger, etc., as
explained in you know who's books.

>You have answered my question. I was just curious about whether they did not
>want to do it (i.e. color correction) or whether it was limited for some
>reason by the process. I was curious because I was sure the family, being
>involved in this special process, would know a lot about color separation
>techniques.

Actually, the inventor of the process was a genious but most of the
descendants brought no scientific approach to their problems.

>>> No need to apologize. It's a free world. You can ask anything and try
>anything.
>
>I was just trying to explain that I wasn't trying to steal any secret. Well, I

And why not try to obtain secrets? What do you think I did? Notice I didn't
say "steal" secrets. There is a difference between "stealing" and
"acquiring." In the end I never *stole* anything but I got my hands on
everything... I succeded where many people, from the US, Britain, South
Africa and even India, among others, failed. They used money and brute
force and it didn't work. I used diplomacy, languages and perseverance and
I succeeded.

When you don't have any money, you'd better have lots of brains and lots of
patience or else you're not going anywhere;-)

>won't be able to since you could just ignore my questions. :) But I still
>wanted to explain that the intention was not there. I fully respect secrets,
>patents, copyrights, etc. If something of the process is secret, let it be
>secret, and I won't even ask about it; but sometimes I don't know what is or
>what is not secret.

You have the right to ask anything. Getting all the answers you want is not
guaranteed however.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada