Re: What does a Sepia Toned print represent?

Chris Fox (Chris.Fox@awl.co.uk)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:05:18 +0000

Bob
I seem to remember someone saying that one reason that toners were originally
used in the 19th century was in order to make prints look like 'proper' prints,
which had been made using the old processes and already had brown tones rather
than shades of grey - ie the same reason you've been using them.
- Chris Fox

_________________________Reply Header_________________________
Author: Bob Szabo <rjs@cwreenactors.com>
Subject: What does a Sepia Toned print represent?
22-12-97 08:54 AM

I have question for the list. I am a fairly new wetplate photographer and
have just started to do prints. I have not tried albumen paper or
sunprinting yet but have been using modern paper and sepia toning them.
Now for my dumb question. What is it I am trying to duplicate when sepia
toning? Am I trying to make a new photo look like it is 130 years old? Am
I trying to duplicate gold toning? Am I trying to make it look like a salt
print? I want my images to be true to what they would have looked like in
the 1860s. Did they actually look sepia toned when they were new and if so
why? Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bob Szabo
rjs@cwreenactors.com