Re: powder box

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 06:28:32 -0500 (EST)

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Harald Leban wrote:
>
> >but i want knows to make print like artigue print (gelatin and powder
> pigment on it)
> so does any have a how to do a powder box
> <
>
> Christian,
>
> I think you mean the dust-on process (" Einstaubverfahren" in german) where
> a chromat/gelatine ( with gum, sugar and/or glycerin)
> is exposed under a positive.The unexposed gelatine-layer is soluble in
> water and sticky but after exposing it loses this characteres and when such
> print is dusted with pigment-powder the unexposed parts hold more pigment
> than the exposed.
> But what I know and J.M.Eder said in "Handbook of Photography" -1926) the
> dust-on process not really needs a powder box, because the dusting can be
> done on a plaine surface with a brush( the fingers and your breath).>
>
> Good luck
>

> Harry

Nze is not after the dusting-on process, but rather trying to follow some
of the documented conjecture about how Artique manufactured his printing
papers. In brief, it is written in several different books that Artique
would take a colloid coated paper and place it in a dusting box to add the
final pigment layer. Artique printing was the process that Fresson
modeled his process upon. Accounts indicate that Theodore Fresson
improved upon the Artique Process with paper that was more consistent and
provided more reliable results than Artique. The Artique's took there
secrets to the grave.

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA