Re: Pyro and gloves

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:47:02 -0800

At 03:47 PM 1/26/98 -0700, Richard Sullivan wrote:
>Pyro is toxic. It takes about 2 grams estimated to kill a man. Estimated I
>assume, because they've not tried any real testing to find out ... I hope!.
>However it is nasty, but it is not as nasty as many make out. My Merck
>Index says: "death has occured through percutaneous absorption", though I
>would have to imagine that one would nearly have to bathe in it in order to
>absorb enough to amount to 1-2 grams worth. This was probably some form of
>industrial exposure. The Merck also says "Application to large extensive
>areas of skin should be avoided." It stains skin real bad, so I think you
>will have a fairly good idea of how much exposure you are getting. I've
>heard tell in the old days one could spot a photographer by her black
>fingernails, today it just may mean that the bearer is a fan of some rock
>group.
Sniping going on here...

It seems to me that Pyro was employed at one time for dying fur
(Hydroquinone was also) and that enough was left in the fur to cause
problems to those wearing them. I would have a hard time coming up with a
citation for this but am quite certain it isn't apocryphal.
The black fingernails were probably from Amidol. Pyro stains things
brown. Be like E.Weston and sport both colors.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com