Re: Pyro and gloves

Joseph O'Neil (joneil@multiboard.com)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:29:00 +0000

At 15:47 26/01/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I don't see any practical way to do tray developed pyro without wearing
>gloves, unless your goal is to look like an old timey photog and risk life
>and limb in the process. The nitrile gloves sound like a good bet, though I
>would not be too prone to lose any sleep over using regular latex gloves
>for developing a 7 minute pyro run. On the other hand, at that price, why
>not get a 100 box of the good ones.

One other factor to be aware off is latex sensitivity/allergies.
If a person suspects they may have this, then avoid the latex gloves.

As far as pyro and sheet films, this is one case where I would
suggest the use of tube processing. BTZS tubes, commercial or homemade,
a Jobo drum, I've even used 4x5 Cibachrome drums to develop single
sheets of film at a time. Not just with Pyro, but for lessened expsoure to
all chemicals, tubes are better than tray or open tank & hangers. Plus,
at least IMO, tubes give you better & more consitant development, and
they use less developer too.

One last precaution people might look into with Pyro or any
possibly toxic chemical is the use of a clear plastic full face sheild.
They can be found in most hardware stores, and a cheaper one will
do. (some of them are very hard plastic/lexan, designed to stop
flying drill bits, etc. in this case, one is only trying to keep chemical
splash off the face.)
joe

http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
B&W, Large Format Images From Southern Ontario