Re: Pyro and gloves

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:03:02 -0800

At 08:40 AM 1/27/98 -0700, Richard Sullivan wrote:

>> As far as pyro and sheet films, this is one case where I would
>>suggest the use of tube processing. BTZS tubes, commercial or homemade,
>>a Jobo drum, I've even used 4x5 Cibachrome drums to develop single
>>sheets of film at a time. Not just with Pyro, but for lessened expsoure to
>>all chemicals, tubes are better than tray or open tank & hangers. Plus,
>>at least IMO, tubes give you better & more consitant development, and
>>they use less developer too.
>
>Joeseph,
>
>Do they work with pyro? The Jobo is miserable with pyro do to the "slosh
>factor" causing oxidation.
>
>Has anyone tried doping the pyro with ascorbic acid? This might make a sort
>of Xtol-pyro blend and reduce the oxidizing effect.
>
>Any "real" chemists out there care to comment. Sil? Schramm? I'd like to
>give this a shot if sounds as if it might work.
>

>--Dick Sullivan
>
>Bostick & Sullivan
>PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
>NM 87506
>505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
><http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com

It seems to me (not a chemist} that anything which reduces the effects of
oxidation will also reduce the staining. There are a great many Pyro
formulas in the literature, including several called "non-staining"
containing large amounts of Sulfite. There was some effort during the era
of silent movies to devise non-staining and long life oxidation resistant
Pyro developers for use with the rack-and-tank development method common
then.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.