Re: Pyro and gloves

Joseph O'Neil (joneil@multiboard.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:54:42 +0000

At 17:40 27/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Alas, the single knock against the BTZS tubes is that they are not
recommended
>for use with Pyro. IMO, that's just another reason not to use this dangerous
>developer.

I've never used BTZS tubes myself, just seen them, but my "former" ssytem
of a 4x5 cibachrome drum on an old rock tumbler (looked odd, but hey, it
works) I think woudl be safe enough for Pyro.

I have really mixed feelings ont he safety of Pyro and some other
chemicals used in alternate processes. It is not a problem for me, as I
use chemistry worse than Pyro on a professional basis, so I have the
training access to safety gear, etc. at the same time I ahve seen in the
past collegues act totally brain dead aroudn materials they should know
better about. On the other hand there are household chemicals that can be
extremely dangerous. Chlorine bleach for example has horrific potential if
misused, but people buy & use the stuff all the time form washing clothes
to disinfecting swimming pools. Some people may say I am comparing oranges
& apples putting bleach against pyro, but my point is there should be a
middle ground somewhere concerning safety around chemicals.

Perhaps as a starting point anyone planning to use pyro or other
potentially toxic chemiistry should realize what they are getting into,
and perhaps take a night course at a local college on lab techniques - or
something along those lines. What I have learned is that there are many,
many off the shelf products available at the local grocery store and
pharmacy that have incredible dangerous potential on many different levels.
For example, I do not think we should have self serve gas stations because
gasoline on base skin can be very toxic, especially reapeated expsoure.

Sorry to wander so far off topic here, a little paranoia is a good thing,
but not too much.
joe

http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
B&W, Large Format Images From Southern Ontario