Only the first sip

Alex Nanson (alec@norlex.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:08:38 +0000

In message <3.0.3.32.19980129133823.008cbd30@pop.microtec.net>, Dan
Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> writes
>At 10:11 AM 29-01-98 -0700, Dick Sullivan wrote:
>>Dave,
>>
>>It is impossible for me to imagine anyone who has the intelligence to be
>>able to get on and read messages off of this List, that doesn't not know
>>that cyanide is poisonous. [snip]
>
>Actually, I think my original post was referring to the gas Hydrogen
>Cyanide, which (in extremely weak concentrations) has a smell of Almonds.
>I am not sure of this, though, and have no intention of finding out first
>hand.

Actually I think that someone must have tasted it in the past and lived
to tell the tale! I quote from a Treatise on Chemistry Vol 2 (The
Metals) by Professors Roscoe and Schorlemmer. Third Edition 1897..
"Potassium Cyanide has a sharp bitter taste: it is exceedingly soluble
in water...... etc, etc."

Cynogen is described as having a "peculiar pungent odour resembling that
of peach kernals" ,and Hydrocyanic Acid as having a " characteristic
smell resembling that of bitter almonds, and producing when in inhaled
in small quantities a peculiar irritation of the throat."

Obviously the Victorians were made of a somewhat sterner stuff than we
of the late 20 th centuary !!!. Just as well that they discovered most
of the alt-photo-processes.

Incidentally to hark to Pot Cyanide, a collegue of mine (he's still
alive!), told me that exposure to this substance in small quantities
over a period of time enables one to build up a resistance to it's
effects. Are there any medical men in this group who would care to
comment?

Alex.

--
Alex Nanson