Re: Gum Bichromate and Post Mortem Imagery

Dennis Southwood (dms1@home.com)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:03:11 -0800

This is from the "Handbook of Alternative Photographic Processes," by
Jan Arnow, in the section on Additional Pigment Processes:

"In 1858 a curious pigment process was introduced by Henri Garnier and
Alphonse Salmon. Called procede au charbon, the method employed an iron
salt-sensitized support which when exposed to light, lost its
tackiness. Pine soot was dusted on the support and adhered to the still
tacky unexposed parts of the image. In 1859 they changed their formula,
replacing the iron salts with a sugar substance mixed with a chromate
salt. This method of 'dusting on' an image gave rise to many types of
photographic diversions, including printing photoraphs on glass and
porcelain. An even more unconventional use of the process was mentioned
in _Photographic Amusements_ by Frank R. Fraprie and Walter E. Woodbury
in 1931:

'Some time ago we suggested a plan of making what might be termed
"post-mortem" photographs of cremated friends and relations. A plate is
prepared from a negative of the dead person in the manner described, and
the ashes dusted over. They will adhere to the parts unexposed to
light, and a portrait is obtained composed entirely of the person it
represents, or rather, what is left of them.' "

--
Dennis M. Southwood
dms1@home.com