Re: van dyke prints (reply)

Hamish.Sophie (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 18:26:26 +0100

I recall that William Crawford mentions Gold Toning of Van Dkye in his book "The Keepers of Light"

He also provides details on different colours that can be obtained with Kallitype formulaes (of which Van Dkye is the simplest)

I have not personally had much experience with Van Dkye but what I did discover was that paper choice influenced the final print tone quite significantly, so that on a strathmore paper the tone was redder, whereas on BFK the tone was closer to a brown/black.

And as has already been mentioned, you need to watch the strength of the fixing bath, otherwise you will bleach the tone.

Just my .02¢ worth.

"We have no theology, we have no dogma, we just dance"

Hamish Stewart

Gum Bichromate Photographer
Astrologer
Tarot