Re: Out damn spot

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:44:36 -0500

Elton N. Kaufmann wrote:

> I know this is not an alt question, but I thought given the abundant
> expertise on the alt list with manipulation of photographic materials, some
> suggestions might be out there on how best to nondigitally remove the
> little black spots from a silver print whose negative has a pinhole or two.
> I've tried bleaching and knifing followed by spotting back to match the
> surround, but the repair is always very visible. My negs are generally
> either 35mm or 6x6 and seem to small to confidently spot them. Any ideas
> or references on techniques and/or materials would be appreciated.

A very steady hand and some Spotone will do it. This is how John Sexton deals
with the problem - spotting the negative then retouching the print. It is a
tiresome process, but if the negative is worth it then it really doesn't matter.

george

--
 Handmade Photographic Images
  http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/