Re: Out damn spot

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 01:21:38 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Elton N. Kaufmann wrote:

> I know this is not an alt question, but I thought given the abundant
> expertise on the alt list with manipulation of photographic materials, some
> suggestions might be out there on how best to nondigitally remove the
> little black spots from a silver print whose negative has a pinhole or two.
> I've tried bleaching and knifing followed by spotting back to match the
> surround, but the repair is always very visible. My negs are generally
> either 35mm or 6x6 and seem to small to confidently spot them. Any ideas
> or references on techniques and/or materials would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> non-alt EltonK
You need to opaque the pinhole on the neg (very tiny brushes, like a 10-0,
are available- use a jewelers headset for magnification, and then spot the
resultant white spot on the print. If the spot is very tiny, you can
improvise by putting the tiniest bit of opaque on the end of a pin and
touching it to the neg. Most opaques are water soluable so if you don't
get it right the first time you can try again.

Good luck.
John