Re: Difficult altprocess

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 01:07:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-02-04 13:31:17 EST, nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca writes:
>
> << Can anyone name *one* person making a decent living making custom
> *monochrome* carbons? I certainly don't know of anyone.
>
> What is hard for me to understand is why the Fresson family is doing so well
> (as far as I know from this list) while no one can make a decent living making
> custom monochrom carbons?
>
> Strictly technically speaking, Fresson is an imperfect printing system with
> problem of registration, inaccurate and unsaturated colors, poor
> repeatibility, and is difficult to manufacture / process. If I understand
> correctly, carbon is easier to make and is more repeatible.

Rhetorically, I have to ask you why you assume Fresson to be more
difficult. If you could still purchase either Fresson paper and supplies
or all of the materials for carbon printing, I think that Fresson printing
would be much simplier. A former carbon and Fresson printer I know would
vouch for this.

The difficulty with Fresson is that the paper manufacturing process and
formulas are a trade secret and therefor it is anyone's guess as to it's
difficulty to produce. Worse than that, if I wanted to embellish
something, I just might make it sound as difficult as manned space flight.
Well if you had to produce your own Bromide RC paper, I think you might
find that very few people would be printing with it. I could spin quite a
tale about how rare and special the plastic coating is and how difficult
it is to apply which if you tried to do it in your basement would
certainly be true.

> My guess, just a guess, is that Fresson prints look very unique to anyone who
> looks at them. When something is unique, sometimes it is hard to say whether
> it looks good or bad. It is just unique, and that uniqueness gives a special
> market. Carbon, on the other hand, look just like "better looking" photographs
> to an *untrained* eye.

I agree.

> This is a second language question for me again. What does "got the T-Shirt"
> mean?

Count the number of Hard Rock Cafe' T-Shirts that you see on a given day and
then think about it.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA