Re: dry plates

Dan Estabrook (desta@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 11:33:15 -0500

ALYSON BELCHER wrote:

> Does anyone know if 4x5 dry plates can still be found? A friend of mine
> has a wonderful old camera that hold several plates at once--he is
> currently experimenting with coating glass plates with liquid emulsion,
> but he would like to know if anyone manufactures plates for these cameras.
> I kind of doubt it, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
> Thanks
> Alyson

If it's just the plate holders that's the issue, you can always shoot film
backed with thin glass... But if you want to shoot glass plates, the
commercially available liquid gelatin-silver emulsions are a nice, easy
solution, although I'd recommend Silverprint (faster, more consistent than
Liquid Light - available in the US from Luminos). Of course, exposures can be
quite slow without a lot of strobe power.

Dan Estabrook