re:Film/Dev combos

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:46:38 -0800

dkern@juno.com <David Kern> wrote:

>I am looking for information on film and developer combinations.<SNIP>
>I'm going to India in May and would like to try some new combinations
>before I leave.<SNIP> I hope some of the more opinionated members of the
>list >will express their beliefs on this subject.

Well then, I guess you've invited a lot of us to talk ;-)

>I have been using the Ilford Delta films with much success in 35mm with
>FG7 and >some success in 120 with FG7 or Ilfotec. I am sure I can do
>better!

Why??? Just what is it you aren't happy with?? I'm sure others will
disagree, but I've rarely found that great a difference in
films/developers, when compared to what a photographer can do with a
film/developer that he/she really KNOWS well. If the secret to great work
could be found in a new soup or a new release from the "Great Yellow
Father" I would be first in line. But it can't.

I'm not saying you have the best combination (I wouldn't know, I haven't
tried the Delta films). Nor have you stated what your subjects will be.
I'm just saying that until you can clearly name the problem with your
material, you should stay with it. Learn it well. Morley Baer (spelling??)
did some wonderful work, all with Kodak Super XX. I thought it was the
worst film in the world when I tried it. Perhaps the only film I've ever
tried that even when developed to the "correct" density range, simply
looked awful. He knew how to use it, I didn't. When HP5 became available
in 11x14 (a film I know well) I never bought XX again.

>SNIP<
>Secondly, will I get best results printing pt/pd from the 4X5 if they are
>more densely exposed than I normally would for silver printing?

Generally yes, start with about 2/3 stop extra exposure and about 50% extra
development. Obviously these suggestions are both film/developer and
subject dependent. You'll need to do some testing on your own. Before a
trip to India!! Good luck.

tomf2468@pipeline.com (Tom Ferguson)