Re[2]: dye sublimation prints

tcekolin@rd.qms.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:47:05 -0600

Subject: Re: dye sublimation prints
Author: Wayde Allen <allen@boulder.nist.gov> at Internet-Mail
Date: 3/19/98 2:31 PM

>> Not true - as the best prints coming from computers at the moment emerge
>> on to the very same paper that are used for other photographic prints
>and > thus have exactly the same life scale.

>For the most part I believe that digital imaging technology has been
>driven by the magazine and advertising industry. The stability of a
>magazine or advertisement image over more than a few months or years is
>not usually an issue, and hasn't been a prime consideration until
>recently.

>- Wayde
>(wallen@boulder.nist.gov)

Not only that, but remember that to the computing and printing industry, the
original is the data stored on disk or cd. So in their minds, big deal if an
image fades after a few years, just go print another. As far as they are
concerned, the original image is archival. Put it on cd and it will never
change.

Tony