Re: dye sublimation prints

Larry Gustafson (gustafsl@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:48:04 -0600

At 02:27 PM 3/20/98 -0700, Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

>Suppose the file gets damaged or lost. Again, what happens if this happens
>with several images....who can afford to cough up thousands. Admittedly,
>this might never be an issue, but in this age of suing for every little
>thing, who knows.
>
>RM

But how is this different from any other product that is bought and sold?
All things break down and fall apart. I would like my new car to last 15
years, but it will fall apart the day after the warranty expires. Which
probably raises the real issue: if you sell your photographs do you provide
an explicit warranty that they will last for a stated number of years? If
not, you're probably OK. No implied warranty of fitness or merchantability
extends forever. Implied warranties will be judged by their reasonableness.
Since nobody knows how long these photographs will last, nobody can be
accused of selling a photograph that unreasonably failed to meet
expectations of longevity.
Of course, you could provide a warranty if you wanted to, but you should put
a disclaimer on it that says the warranty applies only if the photograph is
always stored in a refrigerator without a light bulb in it.
Laurence K. Gustafson
gustafsl@ix.netcom.com