Re: Printing Frames

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:56:11 -0800 (PST)

>Carl Weese wrote:
>
>> The Cobra-Pro vacuum easel is enlargment only with no cover glass, but
>> there may be a contact-printing and even POP version in the future.
>
> Is there any information of their prices? A 'normal' graphic arts
>vacuum frame can run $2200-3500 for 24x30 to 30x40 inch size.
> I'm in the market for such a frame and the only thing which has thus
>far held me back is the steep prices. Custom sizes would be nice too --
>like 24x40, for printing those panoramic negs.
>
>Jan Faul
>--

Everyone please remember that a vacuum easel (which Cobra Pro now makes) is
different than a vacuum frame. And easel hold flat a sheet of paper or film
like a regular printing easel. A vacuum frame sucks a piece of glass down
onto a rubber mat; between the two are sandwiched, typically, a negative
and print material for exposure. So expensive vacuum frames shouldn't be
copmpared top the prices of relatively inexpensive vacuum easels.

A weekend of work could resulkt in a homemade vaccum easel -- I don't have
any plans, but have seen them around where perforated masonite is used as
the surface and a standard canister vacuum to provide suction. And a guy
whose studio I once visited built his own vacuum frame and I'll try to hunt
him down for the design.

For those less handy with or interested in working with hammers and nails
and such, look for vacuum frames at print shops converting to digital.
Often you find big honkers for very little. Some years back I got a 20x24
vacuum frame with a pump for $125.

Bill

WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

Offering Platinum/Palladium printing services and workshops and tutorials
in Pt/Pd printing and other areas of photography (Zone System, etc.)

1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
wmlaven@platinotype.com
www.platinotype.com