Re: Carbon printing

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 18:51 +0000

> In a message dated 98-04-11 18:34:32 EDT,
> KINGNAPOLEONPHOTO@compuserve.com
> writes:
>
> << But lith film can be used to
> produce very good subtle negatives in PQ Universal at 1 : 20 that are
> good
> for gum and platinum. Not the best, but still good.
>
> If anyone does not believe me I will show them how on one of my
> workshops
> at Hands-On Pictures. >>
>
> But Terry, I am confused now. I thought you were a proponent of using
> contone
> negative instead of lith film? If it wasn't in recent thread (in
> general I
> don't remember who said what, I just remember the what), then I think I
> remember you have suggested in the past to use continous-tone film?

Lith film gives high contrast in lith developers, but when used in dilute
normal developer (such as PQ universal) it can give a full range of tones.

You need to adjust exposure, dilution and developing time to give the
tonal range you require. Most films are pretty flexible in this way.

Don't try too short dev times or you will get uneven results - dilute the
dev more if necessary. I've made good platinum prints with a full range of
tones using lith film for both the intermediate positive (made very low
contrast and very full exposure so that everything is well above film base
+ fog) and the negative - where you need to keep the exposure to a
minimum.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/