Re: Judy's Journal

Herold Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:15:51 -0700

Gordon, Here you are,

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Chapple <gordonch@ix.netcom.com>
To: Alt Photo Process <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Date: Sunday, April 12, 1998 9:33 AM
Subject: Judy's Journal

>Could someone provide me with the background and address on this
>Journal. I picked up mention of it in some recent posts but could not
>find any details, as the I missed the posts from a week or so ago.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gordon Chapple

To get Issue #1 of The World Journal of Post-Factory Photography requires
only your name and address in label format. US residents by snail mail,
please; overseas and Canada residents by either e- or snail mail.
(snail mail)
Post- Factory Press, 61 Morton Street, NYC, NY 10014
(e-mail)
Intro@post-factory.org
Note that the < post-factory.org > e-mail address is for all Post-Factory
e-mail (subscription or other), but there must be a name or noun in front
of it, such as --
Editor@post-factory.org
Letters@post-factory.org
etc.
As I understand the system, it is NOT case sensitive, that is, you can use
upper or lower-case letters. But there must be something before the "@",
no spaces between words, and.... remember that hyphen!
For US residents, the label needs 3 lines:
[name] _____________________
[street & number
OR box number] _____________________
[City, State, Zip]_____________________
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A REAL STICK-ON LABEL, even hand printing on plain
paper is fine. But getting it in hard-copy will make the operation easier
at the understaffed Post-Factory office. You can also include an extra
label with the address of a friend or your department, or the school
library, or whomever.
Overseas and Canada residents, because of the time factor, may, if they
prefer, e-mail their name & address, with a 4th line for the country.
(Put the zip or mailing code where your post office decrees.)
The plan is to mail in mid-April. That allows time for disk noodling at
the printer's (where I will see "blues" -- proofs printed out on blueprint
paper -- at a location, I am pleased to report, BELOW 14th Street!), time
to order the oversized paper (the page will be 9 1/4 by 11 1/4 inches, or
23.5 by 29 cm), and time for the United States Post Office to deal with
its April 15th income tax moment.
This first mailing is to be under the umbrella of a not-for-profit agency,
so it will cost only a few cents per issue -- making the free copy
feasible. But non-profit mail is slow. Even on schedule don't look for P-F
before May. In addition, delivery is not perfect and there are no
returns, thus no way to know of lost or strayed mail; the minimum mailing
is 200 issues, and the paperwork is *sui generis* for the Post Office. In
other words, future issues will go to subscribers first class.
Full subscription information is on the back of the issue, page 48. The
free-introductory-offer for Issue #1 is good as long as supplies last --
but requests received after mailing day (let's call it April 16th), must
be by snail mail and must include two one-dollar bills, please, for
postage. (Yes, first-class postage is nearly two dollars for 48 pages,
this size.)
The plan, by the way, is for issues to be cumulative, like volumes of an
encyclopedia, rather than serial, like most magazines. If the Library of
Congress permits, in other words, every issue will be Volume 1 (you need a
volume number to get an ISSN number and a bar code -- it really is Brave
New World); issues will be identified by number rather than date. At least
that's the plan.
Finally, my heartfelt thanks to the many who sent warm words of
encouragement...*most* gratefully received at this scary moment -- and
cheers to all. I hope to mail you Post-Factory Photography.
Judy